Disney/Pixar Inside Out comes to home video on Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital HD(DisneyMoviesAnywhere) on 11/3/15. I enjoyed venturing back into Riley’s world and meeting up with our favorite emotions again. If you have not seen the film yet and would like to read more about my first impressions of it here is my original post from the theatrical release.
In addition to the film this offering includes a wide selection of bonus material. In recent years the quality and quantity of bonus material has been rather light on most releases. With Inside Out this is not the case. There is a large assortment of pieces ranging from traditional deleted scenes and behind the scenes/making of featurettes to more abstract character exploration. Plus trailers from both the US and some international releases. There is so much the bonus features are on their own Blu-ray disc in the set.
First up are two shorts which I really enjoyed. The original theatrical short that accompanied the film is included, Lava. This love story that occurs over millions of years is something not to be missed. The second is an all new short for the home video release titled, Riley’s First Date? The short is put together much the same way as the dining room scene in the film and you bounce between what is happening and each characters mind which works perfectly and is I found it to be very entertaining. The premise here is a boy shows up to meet Riley and the parents are unable to figure out if he is there for a date or what.
There are a handful of what I would call traditional making of featurettes that explore various aspects of what it took to create the film. These vary in length and detail with ranging from approx. 5 – 10 minutes each.
- The Misunderstood Art of Animation Film Editing – The editor and their team play an essential role in the process of creating an animated film. They work to assemble the pieces of the film into a coherent and finished product and along the way work to keep it on pace.
- Mapping the Mind – Inside Out primarily takes place inside Riley’s mind. So the question is what does it look like inside a human mind? What kind of world is it? Everything had to be planned out and created by the team at Pixar since there was no real world location or experience to point to.
- Story of the Story – With Disney & Pixar films you hear the story is the core of everything. But how does the story come to be? As expected it is not a linear or smooth path. Anyone that has looked at the production of an animated film knows they routinely throw everything out and start again and again and again. Inside Out was no exception and this featurette dives into the process and journey of how the story was developed.
- Into the Unknown: The Sound of Inside Out – Just as there was no reference for the settings and look of the film the same is true for the sound. As with all animated films you start with absolutely nothing and then have to build the world we experience in the film. With Inside Out the added complexity of a world none of us know had to be created.
- If you watch on DisneyMovieAnywhere there is a bonus feature on designing the world of Abstract Thought.
There are a handful of traditional deleted scene sequences and if you watch on DisneyMoviesAnywhere there are two bonus deleted scenes. There is also another installment of the Paths to Pixar which looks at the Women of Inside Out.
One of the more interested bonus features is titled simply Mind Candy. This 14+ minute piece is a series of clips featuring the emotions from Inside Out. They range from quick couple second clips to full scenes. They are spliced together with no commentary or introductions.. just clip after clip after clip. It was very different to watch… very entertaining.
I was very impressed with the breadth and depth of the bonus material available with this offering and was encouraged to see this on an initial home video release. The film and shorts alone are enough of a reason to consider purchasing this for your collection, but add in the bonus material and if you enjoyed the film at all you will most likely find it worthwhile to watch there seems to be something for everyone in the selection.
Two audiences really not addressed are theme park or Bing Bong fans. Bing Bong does show up in a couple sequences in Mind Candy but he is really not explored. I thought maybe there would be something more with him. And for us theme park fans there is nothing. I thought a mention of Cranium Command or even a trailer/clip of the float in the parks would make for good cross promotion/synergy.
Some “FUN FACTS” released by Disney… how many of these did you catch in the film?
- PICTURE THIS – The background memories on shelves inside or outside of Headquarters are shots from the “Married Life” scene in “Up.”
- ROAD TRIP – As Riley and her parents trek to San Francisco, they come across birds on a telephone wire from production designer Ralph Eggleston’s 2000 short film “For the Birds.”
- GLOBAL DÉCOR – The globe in the Riley’s classroom has been used in all the “Toy Story” films.
- FAMILIAR FASHION – One of Riley’s classmates is wearing a camo pattern made up of “Toy Story” characters.
- STUCK ON YOU – Some of the background city cars of San Francisco have bumper stickers from “Cars.”
- TECH SAVVY – Dad’s company, Brang, is a nonsense word intended to sound like a startup that would fit in in the San Francisco tech scene.
- SIGN HERE – A sign on a parking meter in San Francisco reads, “Quarters and Dollar Coins or Barter During Burning Man.”
- IT’S ALL ABOUT LOCATION – As a tribute to the Walt Disney Family Museum, the filmmakers set Riley’s hockey rink in the exact spot the museum is located in San Francisco.
- Disney/Pixar Inside Out – Jason’s First Impressions
- Inside Out Press Conference (Teri’s Take)
- Disney-Pixar Inside Out Coming to Blu-ray 11/3 & Disney Movies Anywhere 10/13
- Inside Out Emotions React To Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Disney Video)
- Disney How to Draw Series Continues with Joy from Inside Out (Disney Parks Video)
- Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out – A couple clips & Cast Introductions (Disney Videos)
- New Inside Out Trailer (Disney/Pixar Release)
- Disney/Pixar’s INSIDE OUT Official Trailer & Info (Disney Release)