Looking for something to do this weekend? Check out the Festival of Books, happening in Los Angeles on the University of Southern California (USC) campus! It’s a free event that is fun for the whole family. There are also many Disney-related events and people you need to see as well. Some include:
Authors and Illustrators
- Stan Lee is known to millions as the co-creator of Spider-Man, the Avengers, X-Men, Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, the Fantastic Four and hundreds of other comic heroes and is the chairman emeritus of Marvel. Currently, Lee is the chairman and chief creative officer of POW! Entertainment, where he continues to create characters and superhero franchises for a new generation. He is also the author of “Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir” and will be interviewed by Jevon Phillips on Saturday, April 9th at 11am at the Los Angeles Times Main Stage.
- Andy Harkness is art director for the Walt Disney Animation Studios who also worked on such films as “Pocahontas,” “Mulan,” “Lilo and Stitch,” “Tangled” and “Frozen.” He has art-directed short films such as “The Ballad of Nessie” and Mickey Mouse’s “Get a Horse!” and won both an Annie and Emmy Award for art-directing ABC’s “Prep and Landing.” He lives With his wife and two sons in Manhattan Beach, and his newest book is “Bug Zoo.” You can hear him reading the book at the Reading by 9 Children’s Stage on Saturday, April 9th, at 5pm.
- D.J. MacHale is the author of the best-selling Pendragon series. He has written, directed and produced many TV series and movies for young people on Nickelodeon, the Disney Channel and HBO. His latest book is “Voyagers Project Alpha.” He will be featured in the Middle-grade Fiction: Fantastical Feats panel on Saturday, at 4:30 p.m. on the YA Stage.
- Eddie Pittman is an award-winning cartoonist working in animation, comics and illustration for over 20 years. He grew up in Atlanta and attended Georgia State University before beginning his career With Walt Disney Feature Animation. Most recently, Pittman was a writer/story artist for Disney’s hit TV series “Phineas and Ferb.” He lives in Florida and is the author of the book “Red’s Planet.”
- Elissa Sussman received her BA from Sarah Lawrence College and, in a previous life, managed animators and organized spreadsheets at some of the best animation studios in the world, including Nickelodeon, Disney, DreamWorks and Sony Imageworks. “Burn” is her latest book. She will be on the Young Adult Fiction: The Light Fantastic panel on Saturday, at 3 p.m. on the YA Stage.
- Don Calame is author of the novels “Swim the Fly,” “Beat the Band” and “Call the Shots.” Also an accomplished screenwriter, he has worked With Marvel Studios, the Disney Channel, Lionsgate, Universal Studios and Paramount Pictures. Born in New York, he now lives in British Columbia. His latest book is “Dan Versus Nature.” He will be on the Young Adult Fiction: Teenage Wasteland panel Sunday, 3 p.m. on the YA Stage.
- Ridley Pearson is a New York Times best-selling author of more than 50 suspense and young adult adventure novels. Over the years, his work has been published in two-dozen languages and has been adapted for network TV and the Broadway stage. His newest book is “Kingdom Keepers: The Return Book Two: Legacy of Secrets.”In this fantastical thriller, five young teens tapped as models for theme park “guides” find themselves pitted against Disney villains and witches that threaten both the future of Walt Disney World and the stability of the world outside its walls.
Pearson will be on the Middle-grade Fiction: Epic Adventures panel, taking place on Sunday, April 10th, 2016 at 10 a.m. at Seeley G. Mudd 123 (SMG 123).
- Disney’s Lion Guard Rock & Roar Experience – Presented by Disney and Kindermusik – Must See! It’s a musical experience for kids 2-5 years old. Classes are normally packed, but it’s free at the festival! You can see the performance at the Reading by 9 Children’s Stage on Saturday, April 9th, at 12pm.
- Disney Publishing Wordwide – Booth: 599
About Disney Publishing Worldwide Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW) is the world’s largest publisher of children’s books, magazines, and apps, igniting imagination through storytelling in ever-inventive ways. DPW creates and publishes books and magazines both vertically in-house and through an extensive worldwide licensing structure.
- Double R Books Publishing- Rodrigue & Sons Company – Booth: 126
HIDDEN MICKEY ADVENTURES – Action-Adventure Mysteries about Walt Disney and Disneyland for age 9 to 90. Find Hidden Mickeys and more, with our Quest books to play inside the Disney Parks, for all ages. Come meet the Author, Nancy Temple Rodrigue, and get your Books Signed!
- Kinderwise – Booth: 532
Kinderwise is a California-based company specializing in books, apps, and live Disney-style performances for children ages 2 to 7. They will be showcasing the first in a series of emotional intelligence books featuring the adventures of Kinderwise characters Sparkelina, Sophie the pink elephant, and Busybee.
I hope you can make it out to check out the Festival of Books this year! There is a lot to see and do for the whole family. For more family fun and highlights, you can check out my personal blog or the LA Times Festival of Books Information website.