Storytime’s most magnifique leading lady comes to life in Disney Junior’s series, “Fancy Nancy.” Nancy, little sister JoJo, best friend Bree and their neighborhood friends take on everyday adventures with an extra dose of everything fancy.
I love reading the Fancy Nancy stories to my five-year-old daughter, but seeing this character come to life put a new spin on her “fanciness.” Hats off to Nancy’s parents who continuously just roll with their daughter’s over-insistence of being over-the-top all the time….not sure if I could do that! The parents are so down-to earth and are a great contrast to their daughter throughout the show.
This DVD release features six twenty-two minute episodes. Each episode contains two stories and each story for those who are not aware of the book or series has a “moral of the story” written into each one. Here is a quick summary:
- Episode 1:
- Chez Fancy: Nancy requests a play palace to be built to her fancy and fabulous standards to impress her neighbor, Grace, but soon realizes it’s more important to include her sister than to focus on the fancy.
- School de Fancy: When Nancy learns that her friends are not as fancy as she wishes, she decides to enroll them in her School de Fancy to teach them the basics. While the friends did learn a little, Nancy is schooled when she discovers that not everyone is like her.
- Episode 2:
- Tea Party Trouble: Nancy wants to have a chic tea party with her mom’s heirloom tea pot. The party goes awry when the pot is broken, but not all is lost!
- Bonjour Butterfly: Nancy dreams of having a pet butterfly but her she and JoJo rescue one she realizes butterflies do not make great pets.
- Episode 3:
- Nancy’s Ooh La La Spa: Nancy plans a super fancy spa day for her mom but it doesn’t turn out as planned. Mom saves the day by reminding her to focus on the fun, not just the fancy.
- Nancy Goes to Work: When a power outage causes Dad to work from home, Nancy insists on being his assistant and brings along all her fanciness with her.
- Episode 4:
- Nancy vs. Dudley: JoJo wants to play with Nancy, but Nancy is not keen on the idea so she teaches JoJo how to have an imaginary friend. All is well until Nancy sees that she needs her sister after all.
- Fancy Nancy Makes Her Mark: Dad takes on a cement projector and Nancy decides she wants to leave a perfect “memorable” mark but learns that perfection is not always flawless.
- Episode 5:
- Nancy’s Devine Sleepover: Nancy prepares JoJo with a “Sleepover Suvival Kit” for their sleepover at Mrs. Devine’s house but Jojo ends up not being the one who needed the kit.
- Nancy’s Sacrebleu Fondue: Nancy and Bree prepare a fondue party but the arrival of Nancy’s cousin, Johnny, leaves her completely unprepared for not being the fanciest one at the table.
- Epsisode 6:
- Nancy’s Dog Show Disaster: While she loves her dog, Frenchy, Nancy sees that he is not as fancy as Mrs. Devine’s dog. But fancy doesn’t always equal fabulous and friendly!
- The Case of the Disappearing Doll: Nancy’s beloved doll, Marabelle, has gone missing. It’s up to her and her sleuthing partner Bree to find out what happened.
My daughter enjoyed watching this show, but it was a bit hard for me to sit through. The other characters in the show do a great job of equalizing out Nancy’s over dramatic nature though. On a positive note, it did show my daughter how tough it can be to deal with someone when they are being too dramatic!
There are no bonus features on this DVD, but it does include a preview of the upcoming Disney movie, “Mary Poppins Returns.” The show and storylines ares geared towards ages 2-7.
Grab some glitter, add a dash of “ooh la la,” sprinkle in original songs and… Voilà! Get set to pour on the fun with Fancy Nancy.
With her love of all things fabulous, fancy and French, this little lady can change bland into chic. All it takes is a boundless imagination, help from friends and family, and a sunny approach to life that celebrates the differences that make everyone unique and magnifique!
Mia Sinclair Jenness as Nancy Clancy; Alyson Hannigan as Nancy’s mom; Rob Riggle as Nancy’s dad; Spencer Moss as JoJo; Dana Heath as Bree; Ruby Jay as Rhonda/Wanda; and Ian Chen as Jonathan.
Developed and Story Edited By:
November 20, 2018
TV-Y (US); G (CE/CF)
Total Run Time:
Approximately 139 minutes
1.78:1 Widescreen (Enhanced for 16×9 Televisions)
2.0 Dolby Digital