Seems this time of year everyone and every site likes to do a year in review. I have included some thoughts on 2014, a recap of some stats, and brief look ahead.
This past year Disneyland did not have a significant openings, Walt Disney World debuted the Festival of Fantasy Parade and finally finished the “new” Fantasyland with the opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. At Walt Disney World the year may be remembered more for what closed than opened. At the Studios – Backlot Tour, American Idol, AFI showcase, and the Legend of Jack Sparrow all closed. At Animal Kingdom Camp Minnie Mickey and the Jammin Jungle Parade. At Epcot the Malestrom, Off Kilter, Fife & Drum Corp, Ziti Sisters, Mo’Rockin, and the World Showcase Players.
2015 will mark Disneyland’s 60th anniversary and I am looking forward to seeing what Disney has in store. In August Disney D23 will be hosting its 3rd Expo in Anaheim. Maybe we will learn more about Walt Disney World’s future this year too with expected announcements coming for major changes at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and more details on the upcoming changes to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. I plan to venture overseas to start to experience the International Disney Parks.
- January: Three Kings was celebrated at DCA as the holidays came to a close and the Billies wrapped up their run at Disneyland. The Frontierland Troupe entertained us in the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. In the middle of the month was the Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend and the month ended with a Lunar New Year celebration and Small World being used as a movie set for the upcoming Tomorrowland film.
- February: A quiet month in terms of new offerings with Fantasmic and Aladdin both returning from renovations.
- March: Mechanical Kingdoms in the Disney Galley, more renovation projects around the parks and the Springtime Roundup taking over the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Starbucks opens in Downtown Disney. I also happened to be in the park on the 28th when a 5.1M earthquake was centered within 10 miles of the park.
- April: More from the Springtime Roundup, the 2014 egg-stravaganza search in both parks, Small World returns for its 50th anniversary, and a Million Dollar Arm pitching contest in Downtown Disney. Maleficent takes over the Bugs Theater.
- April/May Trip to Walt Disney World: I spent a week in Orlando this spring. Highlights include the 25th anniversary of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the Annual Flower & Garden Show, the new Festival of Fantasy parade at the Magic Kingdom, and a look around the new Fantasyland as the final piece is about to open.
- May: The Little Mermaid attraction returns to operation with some upgrades at DCA. Summer kicks off with a 24 hour Rock your Disney Side event on Memorial Day weekend on both coasts.
- June: A Summer Celebration kicks off at Downtown Disney, a Frozen pre-parade joins Soundsational, the All American College band returns for their summer run.
- July: Alice in Wonderland returns for 4th of July weekend. Guardians of the Galaxy take over the Magic Eye Theatre. Legends of Frontierland Gold Rush! starts. Nashville moves into the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree. Club 33 reopens in New Orleans Square after being closed all year.
- August: The Adventure Trading Co. starts in Adventureland, Halloween merchandise and starts to arrive early in the month, the summer entertainment wraps up for the year and the month ends with another runDisney event weekend.
- September: Halloween kicks off with pumpkins, a carnival, and magicians. The Haunted Mansion Holiday Returns, price increases around the parks, the fall Dapper Day, Oswald makes his first appearance on Buena Vista Street, and Big Hero 6 takes over the Magic Eye Theatre. The Market House reopens on Main Street serving Starbucks coffee
- October: Anna and Elsa open a boutique in Downtown Disney, the Finding Nemo Submarines return to operation, more saftey enhancements around the parks, and Halloweentime continues.
- November: Christmas starts early in the month with the return of A Christmas Fantasy Parade, Believe in Holiday Magic and decorations on the 7th. The Jingle Cruise, Winter Dreams and more start the following week. Mid month is the Avengers Half Marathon weekend. By Thanksgiving all the Holiday festivities were in full swing. The Grand Californian receives a large gingerbread house this year.
- December: Disneyland hosts the annual Candlelight Processional to start the month. Arendelle moves into Storybook Land and Frozen takes over the Hollywood Land backlot area as a preview of the Frozen Fun starts.
- December trip to Walt Disney World: A look at the new lasers in Illuminations: Reflections of Earth, A Frozen Holiday Wish, Frozen Fun @ the Studios, Frozen Christmas Celebration taping, the new Peter Pan queue, and Christmas decorations. As well as the ongoing projects at Disney Springs, the Polynesian Bungalows, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
Some stats/info about disneygeek.com’s year and mine:
I visited the Disneyland Resort 38 times this calendar year and posted trip logs/pictorial updates from all the trips. This brings my total since 2000 when I adopted the current format to 464 trips. Logging 295 miles and 348 hours in the Anaheim parks this year.
Walt Disney World:
I made two trips to Walt Disney World (Spring & December) for a total of 15 days bringing my total up to 32 trips for 228 nights. I logged 130.6 miles walking in Orlando this year. Taking over 13,000 SLR pictures and 1800 cell phone pictures. Posting around 650 pictures live from the parks.
- Visitors from 151 Countries, the top five being the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and Singapore
- The top visited pages this year:
- Visitors from 108 countries, the top five being the United States, Canada, Norway, United Kingdom, and Australia
- Most Popular Posts/Pages on the Blog:
- Walt Disney World December 2014 Trip Summary
- Anna & Elsa #Frozen pumpkin #HalloweenTime #Disneyland
- Olaf #Frozen pumpkin #HalloweenTime #Disneyland
- 5.1 Earthquake Near Disneyland – My experience, thoughts & observations
- Walt Disney World April/May 2014 Trip Summary
- Olaf pumpkin #Frozen #Disneyland #HalloweenTime
- Frozen pumpkin artwork at the Halloween Carnival
- 2013 Aulani Trip Summary
- Disney Big Hero 6 – An early preview & peek behind the scenes #BigHero6
- Zero dog house popcorn bucket available in New Orleans Square #Disneyland