Today the Walt Disney Company hosted the annual shareholder meeting in the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco. Disney provided a live audio webcast of the event and the replay is now available at the Disney’s Investors Website
I did not attend the meeting but here are some quick notes that popped out as I listened to the webcast:
- Star Wars News:
- Rogue One will be the first film to explore the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz. Planned Release Date: December 16, 2016
- Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII (May 26, 2017)
- Full Release
- Frozen News: Frozen 2 is officially in development at Walt Disney Animation Studios with directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee and producer Peter Del Vecho, the Oscar®-winning filmmaking team behind Frozen.
- Theme park news:
- There currently are no plans for a third gate in Anaheim or to bring back the original Journey into Imagination
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be renamed but no details on when or what the name will be
- Re-iterated Shanghai on track for a grand opening in the spring of 2016 and Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in 2017
- No “Song of the South” question this year… is that two years in a row now?